Skip Navigation

Wessex Water would like to use cookies on your computer to help make this website work better for you. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but doing this will mean that parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our cookie notice.
I accept cookies from this site

You are here: Home > Customers > All about bills


Ways to help pay your bill

We offer a number of ways to pay your bill including:

  • fortnightly, monthly or weekly instalments
  • from your bank account by Direct Debit
  • deduction direct from your income support / jobseeker’s allowance / employment and support allowance (ESA) / universal credit using Water Direct
  • debit card payments.

You can pay your instalments free at your own bank, PayPoint outlets or the post office. We will be happy to help you work out the easiest way for you to make payments.

We also offer flexible payment plans which allow you to pay less than you need to towards your bill for an agreed period of time and make up the payments later. 

 What happens if I cannot keep up the payments? 

We hope you will be able to keep up the payments. If you get into further difficulties, please let us know as soon as possible.  If we know you are having problems, we may be able to help further.

If you do not make the payments and we do not know that you are having problems, we will no longer be able to help you and normal debt recovery will resume.

 Further help available 

Our assistance programme tap can help if you are struggling to pay your water bill. It offers a range of schemes and practical help for customers who are in financial difficulty.

Please contact us so we can ensure you receive the services that are best for your situation.

If you would like to apply for help, visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau or debt advice agency – see your local phone book or the internet for details. If you are unable to visit their offices, they may visit you in your home.

A debt adviser will explain how our schemes work and based on your financial circumstances will decide whether you are eligible for help.

You must have your financial details to hand and copies of your last three wage slips, benefit payment slips or other documents which give proof of your income.

If you have details of any mortgage, rent, loans or HP agreements, including details of other debts, these will help the adviser work out the best way forward for you. As well as helping you with your water bill, the adviser may also help you with any other debts that you may have and check that you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.

The adviser will complete our application form with you and may contact us on your behalf to discuss your situation. Once we have received your application form we will contact you to let you know if you have been accepted for help and what will happen next.

If you are unable to contact your local debt advice agency, please call us on 0845 600 3 600 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm). We will send you an application form and may arrange for one of our specialist staff to visit you in your home to help complete the form.

 Pension credit  

If you are aged 60 and over and live in the UK, subject to your income, you may be able to apply for pension credit.

You can also apply for pension credit if you are part of a couple, subject to your income. Also, if you or your partner are 65 or over you may be rewarded for saving for your retirement.

Pension credits may also be available to people who are severely disabled, or for people who care for someone who is severely disabled. People who have certain housing costs, eg, mortgage interest payments may also be eligible.

For more information and to apply, call The Pension Service on freephone 0800 991 234 (textphone 0800 169 0133) or go to the government's website.

 How to contact us 

If you need to talk to us about the help we can give, telephone us on 0845 600 3 600 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm).

Alternatively you can write to:

Social Policy
Wessex Water
1 Clevedon Walk
BS48 1WA





green trees Please consider the environment before printing this page printer friendly pagePrinter friendly page

do you need help or advise
Ask Lynn
Ask Lynn a question



Related Audio

How can we help you

Emergencies and operational problems

0845 600 4 600

Billing and customer services

0845 600 3 600


0800 692 0692

Trade effluent services

0845 600 4 600